Friday, July 10, 2015
South Korean news outlet Daily NK reported Kim might have executed the farm manager for not supplying sufficient water to aquarium tanks.
april 8, 2014
Tokyo: A North Korean official has been executed with a flame-thrower, South Korean media has reported.
He is one of up to 11 senior party officials with close ties to Jang Song-taek — Kim Jong-un’s recently purged uncle — who have been apparently executed or sent to political prison camps.
Jang was publicly tried and executed in December after being found guilty of corruption and activities that ran counter to the policies of the Workers’ Party of Korea.
The regime has shut down the department within the Workers’ Party that Jang previously headed. O Sang-hon, a deputy minister at the ministry of public security, was “executed by flame-thrower”, a source told South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper.
O was executed because he had followed Jang’s instructions to turn the ministry into a personal security division to help safeguard his business dealings, the paper reported.
The report could not be confirmed, although previous executions have suggested that the North Korean leadership can be inventive when it comes to disposing of anyone who has fallen out of favour.
In 2012, a vice-minister of the army was executed with a mortar round for reportedly drinking and carousing during the official mourning period after Kim Jong-il’s death in December of the previous year.
On the orders of Kim Jong-un to leave “no trace of him behind, down to his hair”, Kim Chol was forced to stand on a spot that had been targeted for a mortar round and “obliterated”, South Korean media reported.
With the purges apparently continuing, there is concern in Seoul at further possible instability in Pyongyang, coupled with a renewed belligerence being demonstrated by the North.
The South Korean military has launched an intensive search across large areas of the country after a third unmanned reconnaissance drone was handed into authorities over the weekend.
The aircraft was more than 80 miles south of the heavily fortified border.
february 17, 2014
North Korea’s regime is committing crimes against humanity including the extermination, starvation and enslavement of its population, and its leadership should be hauled before an international court, a UN-mandated inquiry team has said.
The UN Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights in North Korea published its report on Monday, with evidence of torture, rape and murder inside the country’s labour camps where political prisoners are held.
Presenting the report, the commission’s chairman Michael Kirby charged that the leaders of the state, including the supreme leader, Kim Jong-un, should answer evidence that they preside over such crimes against their people.
Kirby said: “The commission of inquiry came to the conclusion that there is abudant evidence… those who are in positions of power are accountable. All lines of authority stop at the supreme leader.
However, he said that the commission was not a tribunal nor a prosecutor, and it was for an international court to decide on any prosecution.
“We have not judged the supreme leader. Our job is to assemble the material and express conclusions.”
Kirby said: “In the course of this inquiry we have been asked, ‘can you expect anything to be done?” I do. This report will galvanaise action from the international community.
“How can we [ensure] those accountable to their own people, to their victims and to the bar of history? We expect and hope that the international community will respond.”
“At the end of the Second World War, so many people said: If only we had known… Now the international community does know. There will be no excusing of failure of action because we didn’t know.”
The UN commission was set up last March to begin building a case for possible criminal prosecution. It called more than 80 public hearings, and also used evidence gathered by the human rights group, Amnesty International.
Its report, which will be presented to the UN Human Rights Council next month, said: “Systemic, widespread and gross human rights violations have been and are being committed by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, its institutions and officials.
It detailed “extermination, murder, enslavement, torture, imprisonment, rape, forced abortions and other sexual violence”.
“In many instances, the violations of human rights found by the commission constitute crimes against humanity. These are not mere excesses of the State; they are essential components of a political system.”
Al Jazeera’s diplomatic editor, James Bays, said the UNHCR can only refer the evidence to the UN Security Council before any charges can be laid in the International Criminal Court.
China, North Korea’s only international ally, is a permanent member, and has the power of veto.
North Korea earlier on Monday hit out at the UN in a statement sent to Reuters. The government called the UN report “fabricated and invented” and an “instrument of political plot”.
“However, we will continue to strongly respond to the end to any attempt of regime-change and pressure under the pretext of ‘human rights protection’,” it said.
“The DPRK once again makes it clear that the human rights violations mentioned in the so-called ‘report’ do not exist in our country.”
June 15, 2012 Source : http://view.koreaherald.com
A Korean-Chinese man accused of kidnapping and killing a 28-year-old woman was sentenced to death Friday, two months after the high-profile murder that also exposed the carelessness of the police.
The Suwon District Court in Suwon, south of Seoul, handed down the death penalty to Wu Yuanchun, 42, citing the ruthlessness of his crime and his lack of remorse.
“The defendant killed the victim with sinister intentions that were not limited to rape, and has remained insincere ever since the crime. He shows no sign of repentance,” the court said in its ruling. “The death penalty deprives a person of his or her life and may be a punishment against humanity, but a strict call to accountability is unavoidable.”
The court also ordered Wu to wear an electronic anklet for 30 years and a public disclosure of his profile for 10 years.
According to the ruling, Wu attempted to rape the woman twice in his home on April 1 before killing her and carving out 365 pieces of her flesh.
The case dealt a blow to the police after officers were found to have delayed their initial response to an emergency phone call from the victim and wasted the opportunity to save her.
It also led to the resignation of then police chief Cho Hyun-oh, who took responsibility for the incident